Picture
Sometimes people make stupid life choices. Buuuuut... I can't really blame them.

My good friend after graduating college decided his bachelors degree wasn't going to land him his dream job, so one day in utter confusion turns to me out of the blue and goes, "I think I'm gonna go try Med School."

So a few months later there he was, studying to become a doctor at a prestigious University blasting through his life savings.

I texted him 6 months later to find out if he had figured things out. He replied "This years tuition cost me $50,000 and I'm not so sure if I want to be a doctor."

Are you freaking kidding me dude?

Might as well pay me 50 GRAND and I'd figure it out for him.

You'd be surprised just how many crazy people are spending a ridiculous amount of money on education unsure what they are going to get out of it. WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU DO THIS?!!

Yet I've met countless people in college who 3 years into their degree still have no clue what they want to study. So when high school or college students reach out to me and ask for advice, obviously I want to help save them potentially years of frustration.

What advice do you have for someone in high school who wants to study animation in college?

Make it your goal to laugh at current projects even a few months after you finish them. If you can have that attitude towards your own work, that you aren't good enough and so you're going to do something about it today (not tomorrow), then every day you'll improve. In fact, you'll get so good you'll not even want to show your old work because you can see how bad it is.

Most high school teachers come from a studio art or art education background in college, where they were only taught a lot of abstract concepts that don't jive with the business of animation. It's extremely unfortunate since a lot of students like you will be left feeling like there's so much more to art than strange theory fluff. Don't use style as an excuse for crappy art. There are great studio and gallery artists out there but this blog is not meant for that at all.

Your style will come with time, but only after years of putting in drawing and painting time.

If you invest some money into learning the principles of design, you'll seriously improve your skills quickly. The more you invest now into great courses like these, the more you'll get back later. Think of it this way, if you invest $300 in a course now, by implementing those princicples, you'll be able to do a few freelance projects for someone and earn about $300 over the next year because of your increase in skills. If you invest $3000 I bet you'll be able to earn that much within the next year in freelance projects because of your increased skills. It works. I've seen it over and over again.

The only time you can break that model is where you find amazing free courses like Feng Zhu.

My friend Sarah Nightingale in high school did 50 paintings in 50 days one summer. She probably invested a few hundred dollars in oil paints, but it paid off when she sold all 50 paintings and probably made more money than all high schoolers make in a summer. When she started on day 1, she wasn't that good, but on day 50, you could tell she improved a ton. Now she's amazing.

And here's the best figure drawing book in the world. I still use this.
Figure Drawing by Michael Hampton

Figure Drawing is more important than any other skill you could possibly work on to start out your career.

If you're more interested in CG stuff, learn some of these basics first, and then you can learn how to animate.

Feel free to reach out to me at garretthoyos@gmail.com

I'm happy to answer your questions.

Comments

Amy Cinder
02/04/2016 8:51pm

Thanks for writing this! I hope I can go to a good animation school someday!

06/26/2017 9:45pm

In my household anything related to the arts are considered impractical. I come from a family of lawyers and doctors. You can probably guess by now what they want me to take up during college. I took up medicine just like your friend and trust me, I was not happy. I was already intrigued by graphic design by the time I entered college, but I did not think much of it. I do some basic editing of photos and videos, but I didn’t think it would actually be an option for me but I guess I was wrong. Currently, I am taking a few classes on graphic design and doing some freelance work on the side.

People who want to know about VFX technology and animation they must read this blog because it is purely related to this topic. I hope you will get many important things which will help you in future practical life.

07/17/2016 7:47pm

Choosing a course in college requires a lot of time before coming up with a decision. It is very important to know yourself first. When I was in the stage wherein I needed to decide on my course in college, I pictured myself in the future with the work that I definitely enjoy. From that moment, I knew what I wanted to be. I am glad with your post because it serves as an inspiration for the students who wanted to study animation to never be afraid and follow what they really wanted to be.

I appreciate this amazing article! Thank you so much for sharing it here. Nice job.

Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging,

The internet has provided an unprecedented medium for distributing the written word. It has also provided and unprecedented medium for copying the written word.

10/03/2016 11:35pm

For the newcomers is this field. I must say this is the best website to learn new things related to this art. Good job.

11/23/2016 12:19am

Animation is the process of making the illusion of motion and the illusion of change by means of the rapid display of a sequence of static images that minimally differ from each other. When I was a kid, I love animations. It's really amazing and surprising. So, I searched more of it when I learned to use computer. Thank you for encouraging me to pursue my given "talent", I should say. Looking forward for more.

12/16/2016 5:07am

This is the quality of assignment masters that they do not let their clients go to any other service provider. They present themselves in such a wonderful way that you cannot resist yourself to take their service.

I am very happy to find a very effective and helping online place where I can use my ability to teach Turkish language to hundreds of students and I got success during last few months.

12/22/2016 5:40am

I think the best advice we can give to anyone when planning to pursue a career is that if they have passion and commitment to that field. One cannot succeed in his line of work without passion. Without it, you can only go for only a certain amount of time. But when equipped with passion, you can go for unlimited time. Passion will make you reach beyond the limits.

01/05/2017 2:23pm

I just found this articel a few minutes ago. However, I can feel that it's very good for our next consideration. Good Post!

Animation and cartoon making course is my dream but I find to platform to show my skills into this field. But I want to join this high school that provides me opportunity to grab and take admission in this college and show my skill toward the world of animation.

02/06/2017 6:03am

You are absolutely right. there are a lot of people, but i would say that only a few people knows the aim of what and why they are studying a particular subject.

05/23/2017 5:40am

Should there be another persuasive post you can share next time, I’ll be surely waiting for it.

05/25/2017 2:54am

Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates.